Thursday, May 2, 2013

Reflection 11



I have seen students write papers on their cell phones and email them to their teachers. I have also seen student’s texting in class. My question is, what should schools do about having smart phones in the classroom? Obviously students use it as a tool to learn, and as a way to escape the classroom.
I think it is interesting that just under 5 years ago I was not even allowed to text in the hallway between classes. Today students are punished for utilizing their resources. However, people are forgetting how to do mental math because they have calculators do it for them. I want to find the line of overusing technology and stripping away student resources. I believe technology is a good tool to help solve problems, but I also think that other resources need to be used so that people don’t rely on technology if the lights go out.

3 comments:

  1. Quite a change from the past! I actually find that teachers seem less likely to punish a student than in the past. Before, we had game boys and Pokemon to worry about, now it's more homework related or communicative which I'd be more concerned about cheating now. I think as our technology advances, so have ways to cheat.

    I wish there was a better way of bridging technology and those basic skills as well. Perhaps tablets would be better so children can continue to write by hand, only on a screen. It's tough since many standardized tests are by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you bring up a really good point - the line between appropriate technology use and students manipulating technology use is grey, and as a future educator it is an important issue to consider. Obviously I want to be relevant to my students and encourage them to engage with technology as much as possible, but I also want to avoid the issues that come when students abuse that privilege (Annette referenced this above in her thoughts on cheating).
    Overall, I think the issue becomes what the teacher is comfortable with and how much he/she can trust his/her students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this! I think that many teacher's just assume that cell phones are always for distraction, which is often times the case but I have also seen students use their phones during class to do research or take notes. I think more consideration needs to go into the positive effects of technology. I think if we instill in students the importance of using technology for education while in school hours this could be very effective.

    ReplyDelete