I thought that the article was interesting. I agreed with most of the points that Marc Prensky was trying to make. One point that stood out to me was the part where Prensky stated that the world is built around progress, and if Digital Immigrants are trying to hold people back to the place where they feel comfortable, then what is the point of progressing as a society at all? It is like someone who rides a horse, is not use to driving a car, and they don't like using cars to get around. They decide that the next generation who could be more proficient at travel should continue the ways of the past because it is easier to understand. I personally hate that type philosophy.
I think that kid abuse technology, and it can be seen in Prensky's article as he states "Today‟s average college grads have spent less than 5,000 hours of their lives reading, but over 10,000 hours playing video games (not to mention 20,000 hours watching TV)." I feel that the point that I'm trying to make is that technology is good for the future generations, but it can be a tool as well as a something that can be misused.
I learned that right now is the only time things will be like this. Digital native students are similar to digital immigrant students, they wear similar clothes, they speak the same words, and all that type of stuff. Something that makes me wonder is the fact that kids are forgetting how to use handwriting. They are using technology for everything. What happens if something occurs and technology is not able to be used anymore? It is a scary question, but a real danger.
A few questions popped up in my mind as I was reading this post:
ReplyDeleteDo you think there's a way to tell the difference between a digital native and a digital immigrant if they are the same age? You say they look the same, but are there any warning signs that they may be incompetent with technology?
Also, since technology is so wide-spread, do you think that penmanship should still be taught in school? In the past, if you had poor penmanship, people judged you for having a sloppy lifestyle. Do you think people still make judgments about handwriting?
Sorry for all the questions! I guess I just process in question format. Haha