Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Reflection Six

Are kids really motivated by technology?

This article is by a man named Bill Ferriter  who tries to answer the question, "Are kids really motivated by technology?" Ferriter answers this question simply by saying, "My answer often catches participants by surprise: You can’t motivate students with technology because technology alone isn’t motivating." 

So it is important to understand that as a teacher you can involve technology as much as you can in a classroom, but it won't necessarily motivate students because in itself technologist isn't motivating. 

So what Ferriter found was affective about technology was the social aspect of it. Students love to talk about important stuff with their peers and debate about it. 

Ferriter continued by saying, "Technology’s role in today’s classroom, then, isn’t to motivate. It’s to give students opportunities to efficiently and effectively participate in motivating activities built around the individuals and ideas that matter to them." Now it is our responsibility to make sure we help them grasp the information by providing them with the best tools to succeed.  

 

1 comment:

  1. I think this idea is so interesting and I've read so many articles that have said the same thing! At first I thought that technology is motivating, but now I realize that the motivation of it is just in its allure as being something new. As soon as the technology isn't new, it is no longer engaging if it isn't being used intentionally. For instance, the Smart board itself is not motivating. They were engaging when they were new, but now that I know how they work and how to use one for myself, it takes creative integration of that tool to make it engaging for me.

    ReplyDelete